Although 2015 shed tears, anger, and many losses, it also paved way for multiple lessons, stupid (and quite embarrassing stories), laughter, and new opportunities that I am beyond grateful for.
Almost spitting the words “2015 sucked”, I suddenly paused, as memories of late-night partying in Placencia, Belize and paddle-boarding in Oahu, Hawaii arose. The savory taste of New Year’s Eve pina coladas and the foul smell of my wet t-shirt in a cave seemed almost tangible. The recollections re-emerged from my little memory box, as if all the experiences from my 365 days were made into a 3 minute movie trailer.
2015 was far from “sucky”. And to remind myself what an incredible year I had, I wrote down my favorite moments.
- Kicking the year of with my first shot in Belize and dancing past midnight at Barefoot Bar.
- Introducing Grandma to the Moveable Feast and buying her first authentic food-truck taco and garlic fries.
- Watching Paul Blart Mall Cop at the Drive-Ins for the first time (and only hearing about ⅓ of it)
- Ditching school to spend an entire day at an Earth Day Festival (the choice was easy: learning about layers of a cell in AP Bio or having a face-to-face encounter with an alpaca?)
- Saying goodbye to junior year of school.
- “Camping” for 12 hours in Big Sur, Pfeiffer State Park.
- Working at the YMCA with the best coworkers and campers.
- Getting my license, heck yeah! Only to crash it 10 days later…oh, the fond memories…
- Getting pie’d by my favorite lil’ Camper of the Week Austin! And getting water’d with cutie Megan!
- Experiencing the 60’s in one block at the Grateful Dead concert.
- Meeting Keegan Allen on this very block.
- Attending–actually, being–in my first Pride Parade.
- Spending summer weekend in Ventura to learn about fracking and student coalition efforts against it! Plus, meeting some awesome peeps while there.
- Holding a goose with an unpronounceable name. But it starts with P.
- Finding serenity and forgetting my worries, playing guitar on Seaside Beach, Ventura.
- Every second in Oahu, Hawaii. Especially learning how to paddle-board!
- Attending a Tequila and Taco Festival (well, just a tequila festival for me) with my favorite guy. 🙂
- Checking “#165 Go grape stomping” of my bucket list! (of course, with my fav again)
- Thinking “My parents are way wack :)” while ordering a crepe at IHOP in celebration of their 10th anniversary.
- Perfecting my signature school ID pose.
- Learning about baseball at my first SF Giants game against the Rockies in addition to witnessing a shocking loss.
- Hiking 6+ miles on the Los Gatos trail with a few special earthlings.
- Supporting my math teacher and his son Amaan (aka Super-Maan) at the Lymphoma and Leukemia Light the Night Walk.
- Making 568 sandwiches for the homeless.
- Standing on first base at AT&T Park.
- Falling in love with my newly adopted kitty, Chestnut.
- Giving a speech and walking with the Bill Wilson Center in support of National Homeless Youth Awareness Month.
- Witnessing (kind of) the blood moon.
Thanks for being so good to me, 2015. I only hope 2016 will be just as good–or even better. Adios!